He made his name as a sassy gossiper, his huge blog PerezHilton.com all things celebrity. It’s gotten him in trouble over the years as an occasional swipe has gone awry. He was known for his zaftig figure but over the past two and a half years Hilton has dropped 60 pounds. His weight loss experience has led him to debut FitPerez this week, a site about all things celebrity and fitness.
I’m rolling my eyes …
Part of me has to hand it to Hilton. He lost the weight slowly and apparently safely and he looks great. He clearly went against the Hollywood stereotype of dropping the weight as fast as humanly possible and then posing for the cover of People to showcase his new six pack. So kudos to him for that.
On the other hand, we’re getting yet another channel showing people with difficult to maintain physiques. Most likely they’ll be talking to us about how they don’t “do much” to keep their figures and how they just appear to be blessed with “good genes.” I bet we won’t be hearing much about botox, personal trainers, personal chefs, plastic surgery, or just basic standbys like Spanx.
I’m just saying …
A perusal of the site has gleaned the following gems:
- Jake, from the band Scissor Sisters, wants to do a workout video because he hired a trainer while he was on tour
- A woman accidentally super glues her eyes shut (how is this related to fitness?)
- The “Six Healthiest and Unhealthiest Food Choices”; the healthiest includes “lighter fare” (what exactly would that be?) and fat free lattes (which are frequently loaded with sugar; that shot of vanilla is just empty calories, darling)
- A brief note on an ageless Pee Wee Herman (he’s 58 and he really doesn’t look it)
- A slam on Rachel Ray opening food trucks in various cities (no notes about if they’ll be healthy or not)
Perez presumably has writers working for him and he contributes here and there. As a blogger myself, it does seem like there is more than one voice contributing to the site. What is interesting is there’s not a whole lot of content here about actual fitness!
Um, why am I reading this stuff?
So would you rather get your fitness advice from a celebrity gossip columnist or from Dr. Sanjay Gupta? I’m going with Gupta. I’ll take an MD over a guy with a laptop anyday.
How about you? Do you plan to visit his blog on a regular basis?
But, um heh, if you want to go Hollywood, here’s how to get an Oscar Body. If you’d like a peek behind my blog, join my email list by signing up. The box is over in the right hand column. Thanks!