Earn & Burn: Halloween Candy From Your Kids

Halloween haul

Which will your kids eat and which will be snuck by you?

There was a recent study which revealed that 91% of adults admit to sneaking candy from their kids' trick or treat bounty. The other 9% was made up of diabetics and liars. We all know we're going to wait until our princess or ninja has gone to bed before quietly ganking our personal favorite from the bowl containing all their hard-earned Fun Size goodies. Okay, maybe two, they're so small, after all. But are they? While each may be petite in physical size, the calorie counts and fat and sugar grams aren't so small when you pile on more than just one. So the question becomes, which item can eat as guilt-free as possible? A lot of that answer also depends on whether or not you accompanied your son or daughter on their neighborhood jaunt and for how long you were going door-to-door. Let's check the figures. This great online calories burned calculator lets us know that the average 150-pound person walking at two miles per hour (about the pace you might be going this evening) will burn 190 calories in an hour. I know, I wish the number was higher. I guess you'll just have to stay out longer and walk further, right? And that also means a greater range of candy to sneak from, right? About that candy ... most Fun Size bars are under 100 calories, so you can afford to eat two and not feel too bad. Unless you eat the last Snickers, and then you're just asking for your child to hate you when she's a teenager. Don't go there. Peppermint Patties and Nestle Crunch are about 50 calories each ... Three Musketeers and a regular Hershey's chocolate bar come in at the 60 calorie mark ... Snickers, Kit Kat, and Milky Way fall in the 70 calorie range ... Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and Skittles clock in at 80 a package ... M&Ms (plain and peanut) and Almond Joy are 90 calories ... and Butterfinger and Whoppers check in at the century mark. [Calorie counts were provided by FitSugar.] So do you know which candy you'll be lifting this evening? Has your decision changed based on the calories or are you choosing your favorite regardless of its nutritional value? It's okay if it's the latter, especially if you walked around. Just be sure to sneak the candy tonight only and not every day this week. That's when Halloween can get really scary.

photo credit: The Lamb Family

About Greg Wymer

Greg Wymer is Principal and Chief of Creative for Healthy Dose Media. He was an award-winning radio copywriter and morning show producer for WFNX-FM in Boston in the 1990s, and in the 2000s won Best Viral Marketing Campaign and Best Non-Profit Campaign for his work with e-tractions, a provider of custom online entertainment. Before launching Healthy Dose Media, he spent 10 years at the MIT Enterprise Forum working as a developer of programs, content, and marketing for a global audience of startups and entrepreneurs. Greg has been a mobile and club DJ for 25 years, created and ran a pub trivia night called Useless Trivia, and is on the Board of Directors of ImprovBoston, where he performed as a cast member of its Mainstage for seven years.


One Response to Earn & Burn: Halloween Candy From Your Kids

  1. Nick November 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

    Looks like you have twice the confectionery selection in America as we do in the UK! The percentage of adults taking their children’s sweets is a shocker! I’d never have expected it to be so high..

Leave a Reply