84 Causes of Obesity? Really?Here are a few general categories:
- Viral -- some obesity could actually be triggered by a virus.
- Psychological -- poor self esteem can lead to self abuse through food, i.e. eating disorders.
- Biological -- our DNA could be damning us from the get go.
- Environmental -- chemicals and/or compounds in our food could be swaying our bodies' chemistry in bad directions.
- Sociological -- the company we keep can predispose us to the types of food we eat and the kind of exercise we get.
- Having obesity designated as a "disease" frees up research dollars. Just like cancer and other ailments, we can now plow more money into research and try to find effective solutions, since clearly the "eat less fat" thing they came up with in the late '70s, early '80s is REALLY not working.
- Creating a medical designation for obesity gives it the seriousness it deserves. Obesity is incredibly complicated ... with or without those 84 causes. It's embedded in our culture, in our food supply, in our DNA ... This is a multi-pronged war and we are losing badly. Why not give it some gravity and try to do something about it?